Safe Schools for Safer Communities
“Change a child’s life, change a society”
End violence against Palestinian Children in Tulkarem
Psycho-social rehabilitation for kids exposed to violence through active support from schools and families Build them a better future!
Child-centered psychosocial rehabilitation program with a human rights approach
- The Palestinian Territories have a very young population, almost 53%.
- Children in Palestine grow up in a highly violent environment. Therefore, they constitute a vulnerable group, which requires special attention and psychosocial support.
- Conflicts destroy children’s social environment, families, and schools, resulting in the violation of their basic human rights.
- Studies have shown lifelong consequences of conflicts in child psychology, ranging from irreversible personality damage up to severe mental health problems.
- Build a safe environment for children while involving all stakeholders.
- Decrease levels of violence in schools and homes.
- Increase resilience of children and families.
1. Reduce violence in the selected schools
- Create a child protection policy against political violence.
- Create an in-house policy against violence.
2. Raise the level of resilience of pupils and families
- Develop classroom emotional support.
- Install a culture of respect.
3. Develop capacity building for stakeholders in charge
- Upgrade psychosocial knowledge and skills of Syndicate team for teachers and mothers.
- Organize, implement, monitor and evaluate activities.
Project’s phases and their expected results
During the 1st year:
- 6 selected schools will build a strategy to decrease violence.
- 2,200 pupils will experience a decrease in their disturbed and violent behaviors.
- 143 teachers and 347 mothers will receive training in violence management.
During year 2 and 3:
- 6 more schools will be included in the program
- 2,000 pupils, 150 teachers, and mothers will be educated in violence management.
- Local TV programs will be launched to raise awareness on domestic violence and parenting strategies.
- Training workshops will be organized for schools counselors and headmasters on mental health disorders.
- Research on Child Protection against violence in Palestine will be conducted in partnership with other Palestinian and international institutions